So if you are wondering why I haven't updated in a few days it is because we have been BUSY!!
Adam came to visit for ten days, a time which I was very worried about this baby arriving so that I'd have a little bit of help. As his time here came to an end, I was bummed that I'd be alone until Kevin got home. The night before Adam left, my mom walked through the door!
On Friday, all mom and I could talk about was hoping that the arrival of the baby would happen before she had to leave on Tuesday. I was definitely hoping that he'd arrive while she was here but also very excited about the fact that when it was time for her to leave, we'd only have about 10 days left until Kevin arrived back here!
On Friday morning I got an email that was sent out to the whole unit updating us about some things going on and letting us know that there were two Marines coming home on Sunday to arrive here on Monday...they were flying with the cargo. I immediately got upset because this would make the second small group of people that were sent home for one reason or another and it wasn't him! I emailed Kevin expressing my "anger" and he seemed to know nothing about it. After explaining the email to him, he replied "I'd like to know who it is because I'd like to go kick their butts." Thought nothing of it...
On Friday afternoon I got a phone call from the Family Readiness Officer. She said "You know your hubby will be here Monday, right?" Ummmm noooooo!! Turns out he got to trade spots with another Marine that was supposed to fly the cargo because of trying to make it in time for the baby. So after listening to her details and realizing that Kevin must have been trying to surprise me, I think I entered a dream-like state for the remainder of the weekend.
I spent the weekend cleaning house, grocery shopping, and making last minute preparations for Kevin's arrival. It was crazy because I never had the time to realize what was really happening or have the normal nerve-wracking build up of excitement. I also spent the weekend trying to decide if I let the surprise play out or if I show up to pick him up.
Well, Monday rolled around and I was supposed to be receiving update phone calls about the status of their flights and estimated arrival time, but didn't...so the decision was made for us...here we'd sit, waiting for daddy to walk through the door. It felt like the loooooooongest day ever! I dressed the boys in their "My dad rocks" shirts and Garrett immediately knew what that meant...his face lit up and he yelled "My daddy come home today!!" We waited and waited and waited until the boys were probably thinking there was no way daddy would be coming, but finally about 8:00 p.m. while spending the fourth or fifth hour in front of the living room window, I see a government van pull up. I yelled up to the boys, who came running downstairs and I ran to grab my camera. I grabbed it in just enough time to snap a couple of running hug pictures. It was amazing...no shyness or anything...like he never left! Garrett immediately put daddy to work and daddy didn't mind a bit! I spent the evening just looking at all of my boys and smiling with pure joy and happiness (and a little bit of relief too!)
Garrett woke this morning asking if his daddy was still here and climbed in bed with us, touching Kevin's face and smiling at him. Its a cruel joke though to make a Marine return to work the morning after he arrives home, because Garrett definitely was worried about whether daddy would return or not. Ethan is excited to go out and about with daddy and keeps telling me that they are all going together WITHOUT MOMMY.
So that's what has been going on with us! After seven long months apart, we are a family again! There were definitely moments where I thought I would not get through it, but being together again has made it all worth it! I feel so blessed and like so many prayers have been answered. I have realized that I just need to let go of things and leave them in God's hands and they will all turn out the way they are supposed to!
Now I have to figure out a new name for this blog since we are all together again! But in the meantime, I am going to enjoy a few days as a family of four before we grow to a family of five and I am surrounded by yet another little man. So don't expect daily updates for a while!
No comments:
Post a Comment