Today is St. Patrick's Day...which I guess is exciting for kids. I had an old shirt of Ethan's for Garrett this morning that looked pretty cute on him. Poor Ethan has to wear uniforms and wanted so bad to wear green. The "uniform police" have been on patrol lately at Comfort Elementary School and we have been informed to keep uniforms in check. While I understand the concept of uniforms and the reasons for being consistent, as a parent, I also see that kids need to have fun! So Ethan asked over and over again all morning if he could wear green and since I hadn't thought far enough in advance to figure out a creative green addition to his uniform, I let him put on a green undershirt. I knew though, that if I got to school and had to start making my students take their green shirts off, I'd have to step down to Ethan's class and take his off of him which I hated to have to do! Ethan was very excited though and said "Yay, now I won't get pinched!" I asked where he heard that and he replied, "Ummm, I've known it for YEARS, duh!" Well excuse me! I learned once arriving at school that it was at each teacher's discretion to allow the green or not, so I am sure you can guess that my students wore their undershirts! :) I know it seems petty, but I do believe that kids need to have a little fun and if my own child was so excited about being able to wear green then I know my students were excited too!
Wednesday, March 17, 2010
Green
Today is St. Patrick's Day...which I guess is exciting for kids. I had an old shirt of Ethan's for Garrett this morning that looked pretty cute on him. Poor Ethan has to wear uniforms and wanted so bad to wear green. The "uniform police" have been on patrol lately at Comfort Elementary School and we have been informed to keep uniforms in check. While I understand the concept of uniforms and the reasons for being consistent, as a parent, I also see that kids need to have fun! So Ethan asked over and over again all morning if he could wear green and since I hadn't thought far enough in advance to figure out a creative green addition to his uniform, I let him put on a green undershirt. I knew though, that if I got to school and had to start making my students take their green shirts off, I'd have to step down to Ethan's class and take his off of him which I hated to have to do! Ethan was very excited though and said "Yay, now I won't get pinched!" I asked where he heard that and he replied, "Ummm, I've known it for YEARS, duh!" Well excuse me! I learned once arriving at school that it was at each teacher's discretion to allow the green or not, so I am sure you can guess that my students wore their undershirts! :) I know it seems petty, but I do believe that kids need to have a little fun and if my own child was so excited about being able to wear green then I know my students were excited too!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment